Rules changes for 2020?

Moderator: aquavelvis

aquavelvis

Rules changes for 2020?

Postby aquavelvis » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:05 pm

Just to get discussion started, let me know what, if anything, you'd like to see different in 2020. You can do that here and/or discuss after the races on November 16 at PA's shop.

Here are some examples (but I don't want to limit discussion to just these points):

- My sense is we drop the Novice class...not from lack of interest from the people who raced as Novices this year, but just that there weren't many of them. Agree?

- If we drop the Novice class, we go back to two races. Or, if you just can't get enough, maybe we replace it with a "spec" class of some sort. Jim has talked about doing one here in SA where the cars are simple to build from inexpensive and easily available parts, with very few choices about what's legal or not, maybe a spec body. etc. The thought is to maximize the simplicity of car building and parts selection.

- The LMP class has been what it is for seven or eight years now, with only a recent spurt of new body designs adding much "new-ness." Maybe we don't mess with something that's working, and I'm OK with it continuing pretty much as-is, but would like to hear from you if you feel it needs some changes...big or small or at all.

- I like the Pro GTP class that we started this year and don't see any need to rush to changes. Maybe just tweak/clarify the rules here and there. Suggestions?

Jump in!
Scott Taylor
Med. Center

aquavelvis

Re: Rules changes for 2020?

Postby aquavelvis » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:29 am

OK, a brain fart in regard to the longstanding LMP class: maintain stability of the class by not making big changes with the chassis and motors relative to 2019.

However, maybe we consider mixing body types in it by running the traditional LMP bodies for half the races and GTR/Production type bodies for the other half:
- first race at "Raceway A" would be LMP
- second race at "Raceway A" would be GTR/Production
- swap out like that at each participating raceway
- there would be a points champion (and 2nd and 3rd place) at the end of the series based on the combined body types. Maybe call it the "GT Class" or something.

If you're wondering, the GTR bodies have quite a bit less downforce than an LMP and are much more loose or tail happy out of the turns. If you like that kind of thing. Or not.

Also if you're wondering, here are a couple of bodies that are GTR-legal at Magnatech. Foreground is a JK Saleen, background is a Red Fox Porsche:
gtr-production.jpg
gtr-production.jpg (116.84 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
Scott Taylor
Med. Center

CARSHouston

Postby CARSHouston » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:50 pm

Have new LMP bodies I didn't get to use last weekend so if you move the races to Sundays, just let me know which ones will be LMP so I can skip the others.

aquavelvis

Postby aquavelvis » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:16 am

Most likely we'll go with all-LMP unless people warm to this idea, or suggest something better. It was just a pop-up idea that may go nowhere.
Scott Taylor
Med. Center

CARSHouston

Postby CARSHouston » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:29 am

Other then dropping the novice class, I think you should keep everything as is for a year, so racers don't have to spend money to keep up with rule changes.
You might look at having a novice class of racer in the LMP races, so that racers just starting out can race with us, but not against us.
Run in the same race as the regular LMP racers, but keep different points for the novices racers.
Have a chance for the guys setting on the sidelines to race and get points against other novices racers.
If we only have two classes and a move to Sunday races with the shorter schedule, we could skip lunch break and get the races done quickly.
I might be able to make all the races on a Sunday format.
Thanks for your work Scott.
George

aquavelvis

Postby aquavelvis » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:13 pm

I kind of like the idea of a Novice class running within the LMP race, which we did a time or two this year...a race within a race. I'll put something in that thread to see if anyone's interested. Thanks George
Scott Taylor
Med. Center

aquavelvis

Postby aquavelvis » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:56 pm

Pro GTP bodies:

In 2019, we ended up with a list of allowable Pro GTP bodies; anything not listed was not legal to run. I'm thinking about narrowing that list back by deleting the older Champion and Parma GTP bodies, specifically:
Champion/Parma Porsche 281X
Champion/Parma Bentley 282X
Parma Caddy HD
Parma Lola HD
Parma Magnum WSC
Parma Storm WSC

Let me know:

1) Do you want to keep any of those listed above on the list? Say the word and I'll leave it/them there.

2) I don't keep up too well, so if there is an unlisted body (see the list at viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1554) you want to add, let me know what it is.
Scott Taylor
Med. Center

aquavelvis

Postby aquavelvis » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:04 pm

LMP bodies:

In 2019, unlike Pro GTP, there was not a legal bodies list for LMP. Instead we kept with George's original rule that any body marketed by its manufacturer as an LMP body was legal as such. That's a pretty wide open definition and I don't want to let in any newer LMP body that's getting too close to GTP levels of downforce. The Ralph Thorne Orca and high-downforce Mid America Toyota came the closest but not over the line in my opinion.

To limit downforce creep in LMP, I'm going to add a legal bodies list in LMP in 2020. It'll retain the bodies we've been running as well as those that were new and made legal in 2019 including the Orca and HD Toyota.

So, let me know if there are bodies you want to make sure are on the LMP list for 2020. I'll take a look and if it's not any more radical than the Orca and HD Toyota I'll add it.
Scott Taylor
Med. Center

aquavelvis

Postby aquavelvis » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:05 pm

By the way, shop owners and racers alike are welcome to weigh in on any of these suggestions.
Scott Taylor
Med. Center

Return to “South Texas Scale Series”