New Mid America motors

Moderator: aquavelvis

aquavelvis

New Mid America motors

Postby aquavelvis » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:20 pm

The new Mid America Eagle MID 605 motor is supposed to be a Hawk 7 alternative, but $1 cheaper and with supposedly longer-lasting magnets. Sounds good. I have one and will be testing it in an LMP and if it's up to snuff I plan to add it to the LMP motors list next year.

Eagle also has a Mockingbird at $16.95 that's supposed to be pretty fast, maybe faster than the Gp 12s we're running in Pro GTP. If it is actually faster than the Gp 12's, I won't allow it in Pro GTP next year because it will will obsolete the Phoenix motors and Gp 12's that we already have. Will see what testing reveals about it. If it eventually ends up not being legal, the Eagle won't be legal in Pro GTP either; the reason being that without its label, which comes off easily, it's nearly impossible to my untrained eye to tell it from the above-mentioned Eagle.
Scott Taylor
Low-9-er

aquavelvis

Re: New Mid America motors

Postby aquavelvis » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:27 pm

I tested the Eagle motor on the Engleman last night in a Flexi LMP geared 12/35 with .720 tires and got it to low 6.2 times. My best Flexi LMP time I can remember with a Hawk 7 was high 5.8 something with a great car in perfect conditions geared 11/34 and similar tire size. The Eagle seemed about the same speed through the bank as Hawks, but has much better brakes...had to dial them back a bit. Last night's car was pretty loose, and was losing time out of the turns, not the straight parts.

Given that, I'm planning to add the Eagle to the legal motors lists for 2020.
Scott Taylor
Low-9-er

aquavelvis

Re: New Mid America motors

Postby aquavelvis » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:32 pm

Correction Dec. 9: The Eagle will be added to Flexi LMP for sure, but jury's still out on adding it to Pro GTP. On Slotblog someone posted that the stickers can be protected by coating them with nail polish like is done with the ProSlot 4002 FK motors, and that should work. I've coated the label on mine and will run it locally for a month or so to see how it holds up to Pure, lighter fluid, and other stuff we clean motors with. Will report back.
Scott Taylor
Low-9-er

Return to “South Texas Scale Series”