Results: 2019 Race 2, May 11, Magnatech Raceway, San Antonio

Moderator: aquavelvis

aquavelvis

Results: 2019 Race 2, May 11, Magnatech Raceway, San Antonio

Postby aquavelvis » Wed May 15, 2019 3:12 pm

I think most of us had a pretty good time, but Ken Stevens traveled all the way from The Woodlands only to suffer two motor-related DNFs. The rest of us managed to finish both races but neither was very pretty. Maybe we'll do better at Capitol City next month.

I left without getting TQ times, so will plug them in soon as I get them.

As always, thanks to Jim Honeycutt for track time and race directing, and to Cliff Wheeler who kept the horde of renters at bay.

NOVICE CLASS
There was only one Novice racer present, Conner Van Delden, so he raced in the LMP class with the rest of us. Conner will get the Novice 1st Place trophy.

LMP
TQ: Scott Taylor-time TBD
Results: (racer...laps...fast lap)
1) Scott Taylor...231...5.7109
2) Kurt Van Delden...205...5.9294
3) Matt Taylor...183...5.9295
4) Rob Mendiola...178...6.1482
5) Conner Van Delden (N)...123...6.2114
6) Ken Stevens...53...5.8789 (DNF)
20190511_123100 crop.jpg
20190511_123100 crop.jpg (80.52 KiB) Viewed 89 times
This PA Watson-painted Red Fox Audi entered by Matt was the Concours winner.

Pro GTP
TQ: Matt Taylor-time TBD
Results: (racer...laps...fast lap)
1) Kurt Van Delden...234...5.3273 (See * below)
2) Scott Taylor...216...5.3207
3) Matt Taylor...182...5.4926
4) Rob Mendiola...163...5.4410
5) Conner Van Delden...98...6.2572
6) Ken Stevens...29...6.0895 (DNF)
20190511_143856 crop.jpg
20190511_143856 crop.jpg (149.06 KiB) Viewed 89 times
Rob Mendiola's self-painted entry was the GTP Concours winner.

* The rules say that if a car is presented at tech that's not legal, but what is illegal about it doesn't provide any real performance advantage, the racer may race it but it won't earn any points. Kurt and Conner entered the cars shown below, which do not have GTP bodies on them...I think Kurt said they're Super-somethings. They're pretty old and don't have as much downforce as GTP bodies, so I let them race the cars anyway. And of course, Kurt cleaned our clocks in the race by driving better than the rest of us. He will get the 1st Place Trophy but, as the rules say, no points for the race. I don't like doing this, so everybody, it will make life easier if we all show up in the future with cars that we at least think are legal.
Revision May 19: Per discussion below, Kurt had some pre-race confusion about the legality of the Super Shadow. I'll take responsibility for that and there will be no points penalties. When points are posted, they will reflect this, and May 11 will be the last points-earning race for the Super Shadow.

20190511_143856 crop 2.jpg
20190511_143856 crop 2.jpg (237.05 KiB) Viewed 88 times
Not GTP bodies.
Scott Taylor
Low-9-er

kvandelden

Re: Results: 2019 Race 2, May 11, Magnatech Raceway, San Antonio

Postby kvandelden » Wed May 15, 2019 4:05 pm

The super shadow is listed as a GT body on their website
https://parmapse.shptron.com/c/slot-car ... _gt-bodies

aquavelvis

Postby aquavelvis » Wed May 15, 2019 9:08 pm

"GT" is a category in Parma's website but without the "P". And on some other online retailer's sites, GTP bodies are often lumped in with LMP bodies, so you have to go with knowing what's legal and what's not.

As I pointed out in our discussion a week prior to Saturday's series races, the Super Shadow doesn't qualify because GTP bodies are characterized by the tall side dams which it doesn't have. I said then I'd let it race Saturday and we did, but to earn series points you need to have real GTP bodies fitted for those races. As for what Jim will allow in our local GTP races, that's up to him and I'll have no heartburn at all if he allows the Super Shadow. But in the points series it's not considered a GTP.

On the Parma page you cited, there are Porsche and Bentley bodies that definitely are GTPs, and Jim has a couple in stock if you have any interest in them.

Anyway, I don't want this to take away from your race on Saturday as you kicked us around the block with a body that, based solely on normal expectations, shouldn't have handled as well as ours. Very nice job.
Scott Taylor
Low-9-er

kvandelden

Postby kvandelden » Fri May 17, 2019 11:27 am

ok, I'm not sure how I'm suppose to know what's legal when the class rules just say GTP with the exception of "blade" bodies..
While we did have a discussion about the body being able to race, your concern was it wouldn't perform as well as an LMP body, but I could race it. It wasn't brought up in tech.. and while I will respect the rules.. I think the GTP classification is ambiguous.

... and when did "legal" GTP cars bodies stop looking like real GTP cars.
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CH ... 28&bih=802

aquavelvis

Postby aquavelvis » Sat May 18, 2019 9:59 pm

OK, fine. I can appreciate the confusion from our conversation a week prior to the series races. So, in hindsight, the points penalty described in the OP of this thread would be unfair. The OP in this thread has been revised accordingly.

Moving on: given that you haven't raced with us in several years, you've missed rules from previous years of the Scale Series that actually specified lists of legal bodies, and any body not included in the list wasn't legal. George didn't do that this year in the rules that I inherited when he quit, and it's caused confusion for you while everyone else who's been racing knows the difference between GTP slot cars and GTP real cars.

In a few days I'm going to post a list of legal GTP bodies. Anything not listed will be illegal.
Scott Taylor
Low-9-er

Return to “Race Results and Standings”