Orca LMP body

Moderator: aquavelvis

aquavelvis

Orca LMP body

Postby aquavelvis » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:06 pm

In Pflugerville last Saturday, several racers showed up with Orca bodies, that, according to the LMP rules as George wrote them, are illegal. Here's the rule that outlaws it: "Any commercially available LMP body may be used, provided it is 3.25” wide or less (all Ralph Thorne extra wide bodies are banned)."

The Orca is a Ralph Thorne body, and it measures 3.375" across the top of the rear air dam, thus exceeding the 3.25" limit and making it illegal per that statement. However, because it is not specifically named as being illegal, and because the packaging to my knowledge doesn't refer to it as "extra-wide", without prior knowledge it leaves the racer to determine whether it's legal after purchasing it. Because of that, I let the racers race the body in Pflugerville and without points penalties.

We've had the discussion in San Antonio about the Orca, and Jim allows it in local races. That is consistent with Tom allowing it in Pflugerville. And I'd assume that PA would allow it if there was any kind of an LMP program going at his raceway.

So, I'm planning to make the Orca legal effective the next race (July 13, San Antonio). If you believe strongly it should NOT be legal, please pop in and say so here in this thread on or before June 22. Absent any compelling argument by then, I'll make it legal with an announcement in the "LMP Rules" section.
Scott Taylor
Low-9-er

aquavelvis

Re: Orca LMP body

Postby aquavelvis » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:27 pm

OK as of today not a peep, so why wait until June 22 as I noted in the original post?

The Orca body is legal in LMP as of today. I'll make this update in the "Rules" section shortly.

Thanks again to everyone for your attention.
Scott Taylor
Low-9-er

Return to “South Texas Scale Series”