Race Report: 2022 Race 3, San Antonio, May 14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race Report: 2022 Race 3, San Antonio, May 14

It was a good day of racing with a pretty decent turnout by recent San Antonio standards...nine in each class. We had three local racers (disappointing), one from Kerrville, and five from Houston, so thanks again to all of the racers who drove in.

Thanks also to Jim Honeycutt for hosting and having the track in great condition, and to Gwen Myers and Cliff Wheeler for marshalling all afternoon.

LMP
    PA Watson was TQ at 5.140, certainly a new track record for the class, and he went on to take the win by a whopping 23 laps. I had a ghost of a chance going into the final heat...meaning that I needed a perfect heat and for PA to run into some bad luck. But he didn't, and my car ran about half the heat...maybe a lead wire but I haven't looked into it. Jerry Straznicky hung on for third. Full results and tech data are shown at the bottom of the post

James Meadours's PA-painted Superman Orca took concours.
    ​​
    LMP podium: from left, Jerry Straznicky, winner PA Watson, and me. Note that the photographer has been placed on probation.
    ​​

Pro GTP
    In Pro GTP, Jerry TQ'ed with the Engleman's first official Pro GTP lap under five seconds. Nice car, and awesome drive. Unfortunately for him, he ran into some bad luck early and could salvage only third in the race. My car was great, but my driving was not, leaving first place to...PA again. He was as always very good but had some problems in the last heat that made the final result look closer than it really was.

Jerry's OS Bentley won concours...pretty sure that PA painted it by not certain.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220514_144911.jpg Views:	0 Size:	112.9 KB ID:	2302
    ​​
    Pro GTP podium: Same bunch as in LMP but slightly different finishing order. The photographer did better this time, but his employment remains tenuous.
    ​​

Final results and tech data:

​​
    Last edited by aquavelvis; May 16, 2022, 02:31 PM.
    Scott Taylor
    Med. Ctr.
    San Antonio

Here's the Pro GTP starting grid, with TQ'er Jerry's Bentley taking the first sit-out.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220514_152717.jpg Views:	0 Size:	169.9 KB ID:	2305

John Myers's Pro GTP was not a concours winner but maybe the coolest looking car at the end of the day. John ID'ed it on his tech sheet as a Kelly Falcon but from these remains it looks like it stared out as an OS Bentley. Hard to tell!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220514_163526.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.2 KB ID:	2304
    Last edited by aquavelvis; May 16, 2022, 02:38 PM.
    Scott Taylor
    Med. Ctr.
    San Antonio

Comment

Working...
    X