Race Report: 2022 Race 6, San Antonio, October 22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race Report: 2022 Race 6, San Antonio, October 22

First off, thanks to Jim Honeycutt for letting us come in and play with slot cars all day, and to Cliff Wheeler for running the front desk while Jim played Race Director with his usual aplomb. The track was cleaned and glued and in top shape.

We had a pretty good turnout Saturday in San Antonio, due primarily to the appearance of seven San Antonio-area racers…first time we’ve had that many local racers in the shop at one time in a couple of years. It was good seeing these guys and I’m hoping it bodes well for getting some post-pandemic racing going. PA Watson and Wade Vrtis came over from Houston, so we had eight starters in LMP and six in Pro GTP.

LMP

My LMP car was really on rails, and with a new Stage 4 motor it TQ’ed at 5.2222, two-tenths faster than Wade. In the race I managed to hold the lead through four heats until heading to the pits with a stripped spur, allowing PA to take a 2-lap lead going into Heat 5. PA had qualified fourth, not too hot by his standards, but as we expected he found the pace quickly. From that point, PA kept his cool while the rest of us tried too hard to catch up, and he won by a comfortable six laps. Kurt Van Delden took third with Wade in fourth.

James Meadours won concours with this Gulf-Porsche motif Kelly Eagle painted by PA. Very nice.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20221022_120906.jpg Views:	0 Size:	112.7 KB ID:	2683

LMP podium, L-R: Scott Taylor, 2nd; PA Watson, winner; Kurt Van Delden, 3rd
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20221022_134123.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.7 KB ID:	2684

Pro GTP

PA was the first racer to qualify Pro GTP, and ran a 4.996, just shy of Jerry Straznicky's 4.964 back in May, believed to be the GTP record on the Magnatech Engleman. But a minute later I pulled a 4.7669 out of my back pocket to take TQ. But in what is starting to become a too-familiar scenario, I took a first-place car and underachieved…too much time in the pits fixing self-inflicted problems…including a poorly prepped body that ended up with 6-8 inches of tape on it just to make it to the finish. In the end, PA took his second win of the day, two laps ahead of me, with Kurt another two back in third. We haven’t kept up well with keeping track records over the last few years, but I’m pretty sure that PA’s total of 250 laps broke the previous GTP record by seven or eight laps.

Wade took home Pro GTP concours with this PA-painted O/S Bentley.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20221022_144242.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.1 KB ID:	2686
    Pro GTP podium, L-R: Scott Taylor, 2nd; PA Watson, winner; Kurt Van Delden, 3rd
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20221022_160204.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.5 KB ID:	2685

RACE RESULTS

Here are the final results with tech data.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Results, tech race 6 MtR.jpg Views:	0 Size:	197.2 KB ID:	2696
    Last edited by aquavelvis; November 07, 2022, 02:30 PM.
    Scott Taylor
    Med. Ctr.
    San Antonio

Screenshots of results and tech data have been added to the original post.
    Last edited by aquavelvis; November 08, 2022, 02:12 PM.
    Scott Taylor
    Med. Ctr.
    San Antonio

Comment

Working...
    X