Summer 2023 Points Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer 2023 Points Series

For the Summer Series schedule and rules, see Magnatech Racing through August 12 - Slot Cars Forum

So, on with the news...

Here are June 24 results. Difficulties galore for David but he fought through them, and Kurt and James DNF'ed. Hayward set fast lap.

Click image for larger version  Name:	race 1 results.jpg Views:	11 Size:	107.1 KB ID:	2827

...and here are the current points standings. Way too early to celebrate.

Click image for larger version  Name:	points summer '23 062623.jpg Views:	11 Size:	108.9 KB ID:	2828
    Last edited by aquavelvis; July 04, 2023, 12:17 PM.
    Scott Taylor
    Med. Ctr.
    San Antonio

OK, here are results of heads-up Indy car Race 2 on July 1. Lap totals were down due to a rash of mechanical issues, and some especially bad racing luck prevented Oliver from taking the win. And we welcomed newcomer Robert Mattes!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230701_200332.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.1 KB ID:	2833
    Last edited by aquavelvis; July 04, 2023, 12:17 PM.
    Scott Taylor
    Med. Ctr.
    San Antonio

Comment

Point standings after 2 races. Show up and get your points!

Click image for larger version  Name:	points summer '23 070123 .jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.3 KB ID:	2835
      Last edited by aquavelvis; July 04, 2023, 12:18 PM.
      Scott Taylor
      Med. Ctr.
      San Antonio

Comment

Jim was on a family outing, so Cliff came in to run the front desk and supervise the July 8 LMP points race. In the race, Oliver took first place after a back-and-forth battle with Hayward. I had the fastest car but got seriously out-raced. David had some issues, and Robert DNF'ed. Final results:

Click image for larger version

Name:	race 3 results.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	2838

After three races, the points stack up as follows. David and I hold down the top two spots because we've shown up for all three races. Oliver, Hayward and Robert still have a drop to take, while Kurt and James are already maxed-out on drops.

Name:	points summer '23 070823.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	2839
        Attached Files
        Scott Taylor
        Med. Ctr.
        San Antonio

Comment

It’s great that you have close racing going on. I’ll try & make one race before this summer is over if I can drag Jerry or one of the other guys from here along. It’s pretty expensive if I don’t sell tires or bodies in San Antonio but if I can get someone else to split the gas, the low cost of Entry Fees offsets costs.

Comment

Any time you're planning to come over to race, please give me a heads up. I'd hate to pick that day to stay home.
            Scott Taylor
            Med. Ctr.
            San Antonio

Comment

We had a very good race last night (July 15) for NASCAR and GTR cars. Nine racers, two dead lanes (red and black), three turn marshals, and 4-minute heats on white through purple allowed for a lot of action and good lap totals. Biggest lesson was that the NASCAR bodies, trimmed more-or-less to TSRA rules, are poorly-matched against even the five year old Porsche and Saleen GTRs that are trimmed much like we do with current LMP bodies. And while Hayward's .005 RTR NASCAR got severely mangled he still brought it home in third.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230715_202139.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.7 KB ID:	2844Click image for larger version  Name:	20230715_202147.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.7 KB ID:	2845

Results:

Click image for larger version  Name:	race 4 results.jpg Views:	4 Size:	98.3 KB ID:	2847

Here are the points standings after 4 races:

Name:	points summer '23 071523.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	2849
              Attached Files
              Last edited by aquavelvis; July 18, 2023, 10:09 AM.
              Scott Taylor
              Med. Ctr.
              San Antonio

Comment

PA Watson came over from Houston to race with us Saturday, and won both the GTP points race and the LMP support race.

For fun, Jim ran us through qualifying for GTP, and while about all us figured PA would TQ, it was Oliver who snagged the honors over PA with Hayward and Kurt making strong showings.

Name:	race 5 qual 072223.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	2854

PA ran away from us in the race, however. Here's how it ended up:

Name:	race 5 results.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	2852

And here are the points standings after five races:

Name:	points summer '23 072223.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	2851
                Attached Files
                Scott Taylor
                Med. Ctr.
                San Antonio

Comment

Here's how things ended up with the Indy Car points race on July 29, Race #6 of the series.

Click image for larger version  Name:	race 6 results.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.0 KB ID:	2860
                  The Indy Car grid:
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	20230729_192402.jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.4 KB ID:	2859

These cars can be very difficult to drive, and the greatest difficulty seems to be with the lead wires wadding up underneath the lower parts of the body and lifting the front end up. Here's what I've done with James's and my cars and it really helped...a loop of .032 piano wire that keeps the lead wires under the body's "tunnel" above the axle. It can be kind of tail-happy but at least the front end stays down.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	20230731_105015.jpg Views:	8 Size:	69.1 KB ID:	2862Click image for larger version  Name:	20230731_105026.jpg Views:	8 Size:	48.2 KB ID:	2861

Here are points standings going into Race 7 next week:

Name:	points summer '23 072923 CORR.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	2863
                  Last edited by aquavelvis; August 01, 2023, 01:25 PM.
                  Scott Taylor
                  Med. Ctr.
                  San Antonio

Comment

PA came over from Houston and lit us up! We haven't kept up with track records for years now, but 246 laps in LMP has got to be the best ever. It was a thorough beat-down, but we'll be back to try again!

Name:	race 7 results.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	2866

Here are points standings through Race 7. Hayward, David, and I seem to have the top three places locked up, but Robert might have an outside chance to pull into third. One race to go:

Name:	points summer '23 080523.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	2865
                    Scott Taylor
                    Med. Ctr.
                    San Antonio

Comment

The final race of the Summer 2023 Series was Saturday, August 12. Hayward took the win over Jason, with Oliver third and Robert fourth. This was a very good finish for Jason, who missed a lot of racing over the last few months with health issues. Likewise for Robert, who just started racing a couple months ago; his finish and lap counts were way up even while he struggled with a difficult car, so things are looking good. James and I DNF'ed.

Name:	race 8 results.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	2868

And here are the final points standings. I took the title followed by Hayward and Oliver.

Name:	points summer '23 FINAL 081223.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	2869
                      Scott Taylor
                      Med. Ctr.
                      San Antonio

Comment

Working...
                      X